GET STARTED WITH RMS™
—— “JustRouseIt” ——
By Graham Rouse
“I’m new to the art of balloon work. I love your offerings, but there are so many that I am overwhelmed. How do I get started?”
NEW TO RMS™?
Here is a simple way to get started.
In less than 15 minutes you can learn the basic skills you need to make the air filled, Double Layer Star and the Double Layer Heart that we use for examples in the videos below.
The great thing is that once you learn these basic Double Layer Skills you will be able to immediately make the Double Layer version of any and all of the 19 RMS pre-cut, air filled, balloon decorator shapes available at the online RMS Store in Ballooniverse Mall.
START WITH RMS™ STAR-6 (Six Pointed Star)
Lets get you started with a 2′, RMS™ Star-6 . It has some special benefits for RMS™ beginners.
- It has the same honeycomb (hexagon) grid as most RMS™ balloon frames.
- It holds balloons of the most popular size for RMS™. (5″ round latex balloons)
- All the balloons for the star, and the other 18 balloon frame shapes in this blog, are air filled for lower cost and longer life.
- It is small enough (about 2′ in diameter) to handle easily in a small work space.
- It has been pre-cut into a popular and useful shape (a six pointed star).
- You need only one bag of (100) 5″, round, latex balloons to practice a variety of loading techniques. You may, however, prefer to get two or three bags so you can make designs with different colors.
LOAD THEM UP – DOUBLE LAYER
Here is an eight minute video that shows you
- How to prepare the balloons
- How to prepare the Matrix and
- How to load the balloons
If we can cover those basics in 8 minutes, it can’t be too hard, can it?
You will be using one of our easiest and strongest methods. You load balloons with a patented double layer technique. It produces a six pointed balloon star with twice the volume and 20 times the strength of a single layer version.
This loading method has the added advantage that it is tolerant of common beginner mistakes in balloon sizing and balloon placement.
That was not so hard; was it?
RMS™ DOUBLE LAYER HEART
The Rouse Matrix™ 2′ Heart is another popular shape. It has most of the same advantages as the 2′ Star-6 for practice. But, the openings are not all the same size and shape. That makes preparation of the balloons and loading of them a little more work. The double layer technique, however, is especially well suited to accommodate those variations..
The balloons do not really load themselves, of course. And, You will not be able to do it all in 36 seconds like this animation. But, you should find it easy and you will get faster and faster with practice.
THE GREAT THING
The great thing is that you have learned a lot more than you realize.
With just these three basic skills
- Expand the Matrix
- Inflate, size and tie balloons
- Load the balloons double layer
you can make ALL the Rouse Matrix™ shapes that you will find at the online RMS™ Store plus many more. There is no need to feel overwhelmed. You can handle them all with the new skills you have learned.
Some are larger than others and will take longer, but you now know how to do all of them Double Layer. So, try some and then play with adding your own details and embellishments.
The RMS™ Store currently includes these shapes:
|Award Statue||Candy Cane||Football||Seahorse|
|Bat||Circle||Football Player||Star 5|
|Bath Tub||Diamond||Gingerbread Boy||Star 6|
Select one of the RMS™ Shapes listed above to see more information about it and to purchase the ones you like best.
The nominal size of balloons and the actual inflation size will vary depending upon the overall shape you choose and the size of the openings you fill. Most use 5″ or 6″ balloons inflated to 4″ in diameter. See instructions sheets that come with the Rouse Matrix. You may download instruction sheets and other useful information from Rouse International’s free “Downloads” page..
Here are a few pictures to get your brain thinking about possibilities. Some are much larger than our two examples above and some have add-on embellishments, but all the basic construction can be accomplished with the techniques you have learned here.
Here is a list of online resources for more information about Rouse Tools and Techniques that will Advance Your Balloon Art and Business. Do not be overwhelmed by the long list. Check them out one at a time at your leisure.
Or, simply return here for more in our series on how to ” Get Started with RMS™”.
- Double Layers You Are There Now.
- Double Bubbles Online Now.
- Single Layer Online Now
- Modular Panels
- Speed Graphics
- Stand Them Up
- 3-D Forms
Each one will take you one easy step further toward becoming an expert..
Sign up to be notified by email when a new article is posted here. See “Get Blog Updates” near the top of the right hand column on this page.
Also, bookmark this particular page so that you may easily return to access the links below.
|RMS™ BLOGS||RMS™ PHOTOS|
|RMS™ VIDEOS||SEARCH FOR ROUSE ONLINE|
* Balloon displays that incorporate our overlapping cut expandable frame technology are covered by USA patent # 6,332,823. Balloon displays that incorporate the Double Layer technique shown here are covered by USA patent #7,507,137. As of this writing (April 5, 2013) and wherever USA patents apply, that means you must use official Rouse Matrix Systems™ balloon frames rather than other frames. You may currently (April 5, 2013) use your own choice of balloons and other components. That is subject to change without personal notification. Check back here and other official Rouse web sites for updates
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — – – – – – – – –
Thanks for joining me here today. Do come again soon as we examine other balloon projects and skills to Advance Your Balloon Art and Business.
“Just Rouse It” Blog
Copyright 2013 by Graham Rouse